Hospital to Homeless Service Provider Referral Process
BEFORE YOU START
• The Midnight Mission has a 1 year Healthy Living Program, the goal of which is independent, self-sufficiency.
• We do have emergency type overnight shelter in our courtyard; this area is generally not
suitable for a patient who has been hospitalized.
• If being discharged with medication to our program we would ask that the patient have a 30
day supply of medication. This would allow us enough time to work with collaborative
partners in the community to address any ongoing care including mental health issues.
• Do not drop patients off without written confirmation from The Midnight Mission.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS
1. Upon contact, the Hospital representatives must complete the Hospital to Homeless Service
Provider Referral Form (download form here) and fax to (213) 553-2359.
2. The Midnight’s hospital liaison will review the completed form and make contact with Hospital representative to determine if the patient is an appropriate referral for our programs.
3. If the patient is an appropriate referral The Midnight’s representative will complete the Receiving Facility Section of the Hospital to Homeless Service Provider Referral form with a confirmation number (a unique ID). A copy is faxed to the Hospital Representative.
4. The Midnight’s representative will make contact with Hospital representative to coordinate a date and time for a warm hand off.
5. An informational email with the patient’s name, date of arrival and name of hospital will go to
Healthy Living Staff, Security, and Public Affairs.
6. Upon arrival, a member of the staff will be present to receive patient and ensure a smooth transition.